Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Timeless Road

My soul drifts up to taut, stretched heights
The heat in this tent burns my skin
And so I call up to my God
I call His name and bid Him speak
To take the pain soaked into me
Release its steam, to heal, to cure

My dear Elijah meant to cure
The world's pain as dirt shot to heights
In pieces as shells burst near me
They marked the world in scorched black skin
Remember the last words we spoke?
As one, but out of touch with God

"He" is Wemistikoshiw's "God"
They call to Him for near-death cures
From morphine'd tongues they scream, they speak
They think they'll soar to greater heights
As bloody bullets pierce their skin
That pain swirls heavy, too, in me

Elijah, no longer like me
no longer prayed to Manitou
And now mine feels like boiled skin
I wash you out and try a cure
Your ahcahk flies at the tent's height
To this last form of you, I speak

You start to depart as I speak
I stoke the coals so air bur ns me
I'm sad I had to quell your heights
Please heal us, Niska, Manitou
In vain I ask Him for your cure
But you're still dead as your scalp skins

I'm free of thought, you're free of skin
You're free of words, I'm free to speak
I'm free to live, you're free from cure
You're free of you, I'm free, I'm me
I'm free in soul, you're free for God
You're free from earth, I'm free at heights

Your ahcahk tickles past my skin, past me, past Gitchi Manitou, and you, my friend, are free
Soaring like you did on morphine - that cure, loose tongue, my sorrow high, but finally I help you fly.


*Inspired by Joseph Boyden's Three Day Road

No comments:

Post a Comment